Sunday, September 21, 2008

Iphone

All this week, I have been thinking on what I am going to blog about. When we watched “You Got Mail” it made me feel all romantic and sappy afterwards, but it was funny to see the old AOL screen and hear the connecting noises. I kind of missed it in a way. During the movie, I saw someone pull out their iphone and I immediately giggled because of this skit I saw on MADTV.

It is about a talk show host who introduces the maker of the iphone and the audience starts going insane. As soon as he steps on stage, the audience falls silent and he starts talking about the new iphone and all of its new features. He speaks to it and says “iphone, on.” The audience once again goes crazy. Then after every feature he says that the iphone has, the audience continues to scream and one of the audience members actually stands up and says “I am so happy I didn’t kill myself yesterday!” The iphone guy continues saying that it is an MP3 player, a wide screen ipod, a break through internet device and has scrolling capabilities. Then the audience takes a sudden turn, starts screaming that it is too much, and calling the iphone guy an i-witch. He then answers back with “no need to be afraid – its just new technology.” The crowd grows wild and he screams “SILENCE!” while a big bash of thunder and lighting hit the stage; he then shouts out that he was going to offer them eternal life. A woman stands up and cries out “that was on the iphone?” And he replies with “yes but you didn’t let me get that far down! But it’s too late now! You made a powerful enemy today….iphone! Disappear me!” And he is gone in cloud of smoke and the audience is shocked and doesn’t know what to do.

This is comical for a variety and obvious reasons. It is amazing how we, as a society, put technology on a pedestal. As soon as a new gadget comes out we rave about and have to have it. But if something goes wrong with it, we are quick to point out its flaws and tell all our friends what is wrong with it. In reality, look how far we have come in just phones – look back to when cell phones we not even heard of. Now we get frustrated if the screen or keys are frozen or stuck even though we probably dropped the phone a million times.

Even though this skit was meant to be hilarious and it was, it did open my eyes to how we take technology for granted.

1 comment:

Candace said...

I actually saw this as well, and it was hilarious! But you're right, it's funny how excited people get about all the new technology until something goes wrong. I personally have experienced times where I have purchased the latest gadget and it broke on me, so I understand.