Sunday, October 5, 2008

Children and CMC


While writing my response to one of the discussion questions online I started thinking about when I was a child and had no CMC. Back when I played outside all day, hated being called in for dinner, and had to be in before the street lights turned on. When jumping on the bed and pillow fights was the highlight of my evening. So I looked up an article that talks about children using CMC and the impact that these children have on our future.

The article starts off by giving statistics, much like our first class. However, the article was written in 2004, so the statistics are not that current. A very interesting part of the article was about texting and reasons cell phone companies introduced texting. “The companies who provide these messaging services are more than happy to exploit kids' text habits. Vendors make the most of their money in the space from advertising displayed on the messaging program's interface. But premium services like custom wallpaper, decorative themes and online games are also taking off. By the end of 2004, total worldwide revenues in the IM market, which include enterprise and consumer segments, will be about $131 million, according to the Radicati Group. By 2008, that total should reach $413 million.” Obviously we see that texting is not going anywhere considering all the cash the companies are reeling in.


The article goes on and talks about how children and teenagers are often the first consumers to test out new advance messaging systems; so much, in fact, that they are teaching their parents how to use them. As a result, the parents, wanting to stay in touch with their children, are slowly picking up on these new techniques of communication. A perfect example would be my mother who did not start texting until I was in college. If she wanted to stay in touch with me, texting was the key.


Another interesting part of this article was how kids are suppressing the use of email with Instant Messaging and texts. “As these kids get older, we're going to see IM really take over as the preferred method of communication over e-mail," says Frazier Miller, director of product management for Yahoo Messenger. "E-mail is really seen as skewed towards older demographics. Kids will use e-mail to communicate with their parents, but it's seen as very stodgy.” I very rarely use email and when I do, it is usually for school purposes only. I can understand where this is all coming from and where we are headed because in a way I am still in this generation of teenagers who are constantly using IM and texting as the main source of my communication.



2 comments:

Blaise said...

Your blog reminded me of that commercial with the kids telling the parents how to use the different technologies to get intouch with them while they were away. It is so ture. I agree with everything you talked about. I laughed the first time my mom started texting me because it was a mess but she knew that texting was the best way to get ahold of me. She uses it frequently now she even learned how to send pictures. I think that as the generations continue IM will be a huge resource and means of communication.

Emily said...

Thats funny that Blaise said that because this post makes me think of the commercial with the baby on the computer talking about stalks and shares and buying them. I also think that this blog is quite interesting since I have also often thought about the differences in my youth compared to my children now. I used to play all day at my grandmas house every sunday. Now my cousins leave my grandmas early to go play on the computer at home.